Friday, November 4, 2011

A Great Day!

Age is strictly a case of mind over matter.  If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Jack Benny

And it doesn't matter to me...in fact, I'm glad!  I turned 40 today, and I couldn't be happier!  It's funny the different reactions I've been getting the past few weeks, when people found out the big "4-0" was coming up.  I heard some "Congratulations!"...a few scattered "Wow--you don't look 40!" but mostly I heard "Oh..." accompanied by looks of pity.  Pity?  Why would anyone feel sorry for me??  I do understand that turning certain ages can be...unsettling, and for many is perceived as the end of something.  Though I don't see it that way.  There have been many times throughout my life when things have ended for me, or at least changed dramatically...as of yet they've never fallen on my birthday.  And I haven't exactly experienced the normal milestones that most people experience.  For instance, in a lot of cases turning 21 is a big deal...it means that FINALLY you are old enough for everything, except maybe AARP.  You can drink, in PUBLIC, and not be faulted for it.  Yippee--WHOO-HOO!!  My 21st year, however, passed in a whisper...I'm severely allergic to alcohol, so to celebrate I took my art school friends out to a local bar and bought them drinks...then I drove them home.  I admit--not very exciting in the traditional way!  I still had fun...enjoyed some laughs.  And drank a Shirley Temple!

The milestones I remember the most usually have to do with other things...the day I graduated from graduate school, my first teaching job and students, holding my younger niece in my arms on the day she was born.  I have other milestones as well...the age I was when I was finally diagnosed with CMT(25), the age I was when I was hurt and had to give up teaching altogether (32)...the age I was when Scout passed away (39.)  Not all milestones are happy ones to cross.  But they all lead you down your path in life...some spots are just a little rockier!  Well, this year on my birthday I created another memory to file away with the others, and it's a good memory...today was our Art de Cure gallery installation to raise money for CMT.  I must say--the gallery is impressive!  And as of today, the art pieces displayed throughout the space are for sale...so if you are interested in some original artwork created by regional artists, stop in at the CPO (Clinical Prosthetics & Orthotics) building: 149 South Lake Avenue in Albany NY, and take a look!  I am proud to have my art pieces hanging along side the work of many talented people...and I am excited to see just how much money we will raise for the CMTA.  We hope to see all of you at our upcoming event on December 2nd, from 5-9pm...it should be a great time!

And last but not least, let me thank each and every one who has donated an item for the event...and I know there are still more coming, so let me thank you in advance!  So far I have managed to collect 14 different donations such as quilts, hand painted items and jewelry...and one donation was actually sold today, starting the ball rolling to reach our $15,000 goal.  That was donated by my very own mother, who made several infant blankets and hats. Thanks again, mom!  And if you are a regular reader of my blog you probably have noticed that I don't use names when talking about the people in my life...I use abbreviations.  To do so now in order to thank everyone (including my mother) for their generosity, would make me sound like I forgot my alphabet!  So I will dispense with the K's and C's, and just send out a big THANKS to all of you...you know who you are!  It's for a great cause which is very close to my heart, and your help is very much appreciated!

So overall it was a GREAT day as I turned 40...and I have some good memories to think upon in times to come.  Life is truly a gift, no matter what age you may be...and even though some birthdays can be about as pleasant as getting a box of irregular tube socks,  other birthdays are as shiny as diamonds.  I try to see the 'diamonds in the rough' each and every year, and will attempt to do so as long as I am able.  And when I can't find the shine?  Well, I'll just yank my tube socks a little higher, and keep on searching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment