Monday, September 12, 2011

In Remembrance

Sometimes my words are not enough. What I hear, and see and feel remains so overwhelming, I can only attempt at getting it right...I can only play at putting my thoughts into concrete words without letting my emotions get away from me. Yesterday, September 11th, is a date that will never again stand for anything else in my mind, nor the minds of many others. Will I ever forget? It is highly unlikely. And I am fortunate enough that the memories of that day do not involve any friends or loved ones...I did not personally know anyone who died in that tragedy. Though despite this fact I will always remember where I was and what I was doing, when the planes crashed into New York City's Twin Towers on 9/11/01.

The reason I cannot forget is not only because of the numbers of people we lost on that terrible day, or even because of the way in which we lost them. In my head it isn't the knowledge of who was President during that time or the nature of his response to the event, which makes me remember. The reason I will never forget that day is due to one small, yet very powerful word...HATE. There have been so many instances of pure hatred that stick in my mind, though before 2001 I had only read about them in history books and learned about them through documentaries on TV. All of these events, including 9/11, still bring me to tears...each and every last one of them.  For though I know hatred exists, to see it and be reminded of its sick presence tightens my chest and makes it hard to breathe...I find it confusing that any one person or group of people could hold onto such strong negativity and darkness, and aim it at another--under the guise of religious beliefs or the color of someone's skin. For I truly think it is a disguise, to cover hatred with the flimsy blankets of race, color or creed. Evil is what it is, and sadly I think it will always remain in the world if we continue to feed it and nurture it...and the ways we justify our actions and our hate, to ourselves and others, are just excuses.

When I think about all of those people, almost 3000 Americans who lost their lives that day, I struggle with the realization that we have so far to go in this world to achieve peace...and peace for everyone, without exclusion! I don't know if we will ever reach that level of peace, where we will gauge our time on this earth by the positive events that occur...not the negative ones that only serve to harm. I fear that we are only able to see a world like this as existing on another plane...such as in Heaven, if that is your belief, or a Utopia which we hope to one day reach. I worry that if we can't see such peace as possible in this world, we will continue to allow hate into our hearts against others...our differences will remain a source of tension instead of being accepted and celebrated. I still strive to understand the people and groups who have been responsible for the tragedies we have endured in the past, and I mostly fall short. I struggle to forgive the people who have been taught this kind of hate, and seem to embrace it...for I believe that we will only reach the peace we hope for through love and forgiveness. I try to learn from our mistakes, as a whole...and hope that in the end I have managed to do the best with the time I've been given.

There are many well known figures in history who stand out for the good works they have done, and their ability to live their lives with grace, pride and dignity.  As I remember those who have fallen in the tragedy of September 11, 2001, I will remember the many who displayed those qualities, and gave their lives in the attempt to save others.  The selflessness and strength of these people will never be forgotten, and we should try our best to learn from their example.   I am reminded of another person who lived in such a way, preaching love and forgiveness throughout her life; Mother Theresa.  As you honor those whom you have lost and struggle to understand why, may her words be a source of comfort...and may we all strive to one day live up to them.

May today there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others. May you use the gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself just the way you are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us.
Mother Theresa

1 comment:

  1. Hatred.... it breeds upon itself ,and consumes those who fall into its grasp , growing larger and larger !
    Tragic events,such as 9/11,causes hatred. The hatred that brought this awfull event upon us , and the ensuing hatred from those here that is generated from the tragic loss of life , and the attack on our country !
    Lets first examine the "Hatred " that caused the attack on 9/11. The hatred comes from a very small sect of "Demi-gods" who stir up an entire nation of people who have absolutely nothing,and make them believe that their corrurpt interpatation of their "Holy Book " tells them to hate us and kill us / but it does not say that !These people . this nation , is "RULED BY HATRED ", but they are just people .
    "Our" hatred seems justified, loss of life , attacked , and believeing what our top leaders are telling us ,,,, again , a few top people , and we follow , AND HATE .
    As one who has lived through a war , in combat , and saw"HATRED"everyday,you soon realize the people you are fighting ... are the same as you !No different,simply told by someone that "you"had to be hated and disposed of .....
    And this hatred goes on , as both sides now are loosing brave sons and daughters daily in this struggle that exsist between but a few people from each side that "HATE "each other,and have agendas!I wholly agree with your point, we must find a way to love and forgive these "people " who came here on 9/11, and caused such a tragedy. In some manner we must come to realize,they are people, same as us, and only God has that right to judge people !
    As you state, we need to take a lesson from the great and devine people who walked before us as Jesus did , reminding us , and instructing us in the ways of loving , and living , with our fellow man ..........."God Bless America"
    and .."God Bless Everyone of You "

    ReplyDelete